Throughout all contact with pupils/customers we will Endeavour to always be reasonable.
Lesson Terms and Conditions Introduction The following terms and conditions represent the basis upon which driving lessons and courses are offered to you by your local Blackarrow instructor. Please note the contract for service is between yourself and the local Blackarrow instructor.
1. General Conduct All Blackarrow instructors are bound by a professional code of conduct. Your Blackarrow instructor will be courteous, polite, tidy and punctual. He or she will also behave in a professional and ethical manner at all times. Your Blackarrow instructor’s car will be well maintained, clean and tidy. All cars used by Blackarrow instructors are fitted with dual-controls as part of their standard equipment. The cars are of course fully insured for driving tuition. Blackarrow instructors will not smoke in the car while giving tuition, nor will they use your lesson time for any other form of business, personal or otherwise.
2. Qualifications As a minimum your Blackarrow instructor will be licensed by the Driving Standards Agency (DSA) to give driving tuition. He or she will also be proficient in the use of the Learner Driving System of tuition.
3. Course Materials When you purchase a One Week Pass, Semi-intensive, Midway Pass or Test Booster course, your Driving Skills Workbook and Driving Skills DVD Videos will be provided to you directly from the office and are for you to keep. Please note the Theory Test Study Pack is not included with these driving courses but may be bought separately. If you book Weekly Lessons you can purchase these materials from your local instructor. As an alternative to purchasing the Driving Skills DVD Videos your local Blackarrow instructor will loan or rent them to you and may ask for a small deposit to ensure their safe return at the end of the training.
4. Driving Licence and Eyesight The learner must hold a current, valid driving licence (provisional or full), which must be produced on or in advance of their first lesson. The learner must also check that they can read a number plate at a distance of 20.5 metres (i.e. 67 feet - about 5 car lengths) with glasses if normally worn.
5. Payments Please note payments must be made in advance of the training. To book a course, a 50% deposit or the full course fee (if the course start date is within 4 weeks of the booking date) is required.
Please note the deposit or any subsequent training fees paid are not refundable in the event that you decide to cancel the training once the booking has been accepted by your local instructor. At this point a binding agreement is made between yourself and the local instructor. This does not in any way affect your statutory rights to be provided with the goods and services you have bought. Please also note that a full refund will be given if the instructor is unable to meet any special requirements noted and as shown under “Special Requirements” on your booking confirmation.
6. Lesson Postponement Provided the instructor can easily obtain additional work for any individual lessons postponed no penalty will be incurred. If this is not possible the full training fee for the period in question may, at the total discretion of the instructor, be lost or charged. Your instructor reserves the right to postpone lessons if he or she feels that the weather or road conditions are unsuitable or dangerous. The Blackarrow instructor cannot be held responsible for any costs incurred as a result of him or her having to postpone any lessons, for whatever reason.
7. Driving under the Influence To ensure the safety of you, your instructor and other road users your Blackarrow instructor reserves the right to cancel any lesson if you are or if they suspect you are under the influence of drugs and or alcohol. If this occurs the full training fee for the period in question will be lost or charged.
8. The Driving Test a) Bookings Driving tests can be booked by you, your Blackarrow instructor. Driving test bookings always take priority over other lessons. Therefore, your lesson may be postponed to allow for someone else’s driving test and vice-versa. Changes to lesson bookings as a result of this will be notified immediately. Test appointments must be notified to your Blackarrow instructor as soon as they are known, otherwise he or she cannot guarantee to provide a vehicle for the test.
b) Use of the vehicle In the interests of customer and public safety your Blackarrow instructor reserves the right to withhold the use of a car for the test if, in their opinion, your driving is actually or potentially dangerous.
c) Test cancellation Three clear working days notice of cancellation or postponement is required by the DSA. Failure to provide the required notice will result in the loss of your test fee. Your instructor cannot be held responsible for any postponement or cancellation of tests by you or the DSA. However, they will do all that is possible to arrange another test as quickly as possible and to help you to reclaim expenses from the DSA.
9. Punctuality In their own interests learners are advised to be punctual for their lesson appointments. All such appointments should be recorded (and checked where possible by their local instructor) in their driving skills workbook (Appointment Record section) to ensure that mistakes are avoided. The instructor would normally wait for a maximum of 15 minutes before the lesson would be abandoned and the lesson fee forfeited or become due for payment. A reciprocal waiting time may become necessary if the instructor is delayed due to unforeseen circumstances. Any lesson time lost as a result of this would be made up by the instructor either at the end of the normal lesson time if possible or at a later date. Any such shortfall should be recorded in the driving skills workbook and initialled by the instructor.
10. Learner Comfort and Safety In the interests of comfort and safety learners are advised to wear suitable footwear and clothing which does not restrict movement. Learners must also take note of any medication they are taking that may affect their ability to drive safely and advise their instructor accordingly before taking any lesson booked.
11. Complaints In the event of a complaint all efforts must be made to resolve the problem directly with the Blackarrow instructor. However, please do not let a problem linger. If you booked directly with the instructor you will need to put your complaint in writing. If not resloved to your satifaction. Contact the Instructor Services and Registration team Driving Standards Agency The Axis Building 112 Upper Parliament Street Nottingham NG1 6LP
11. Your Statutory Rights Nothing in these terms and conditions will reduce your statutory rights relating to faulty or misdescribed goods or services provided. Instructors have a statutory obligation to provide you with goods and services fit for the purpose for which they were bought and as described. If you have any doubts about your statutory rights please contact your local Trading Standards Department or Citizen's Advice Bureau